Wednesday, November 6, 2013

The End

Today is my last day in South Sudan. This afternoon I will get on a plane to Nairobi and fly away, slowly working my way west and home. I can't say I'm not looking forward to being home. HOME. Home in my own country. Where I can speak in rapid English and most people will understand. Home where MY people live. I never thought of myself as much of a nationalist or patriot or American, really. I don't think anyone would accuse me of being any of those things. But, it's true, I have missed home. There really is no place like it. It's nice to travel, but I've learned that it's even nicer to come home. Oh America, I've missed you so much.


Thanks for the memories, South Sudan. I'll never leave your corner as you try to stand on your feet as the world's newest nation, but the time has come for me to go home. 

We can only speak of the things we carried with us and the things we took away.
Barbara Kingsolver, the Poisonwood Bible

No comments: